Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Spank Rock

If I were a DJ at Emerson, or any college station for that matter, this quickie would be mired in the obligatory "slammin", "bangin", "off the hook" or other proper indicators of dopeness. Thankfully, I don't have to talk like that. However, some of the aforementioned adjectives are bound to slip while conveying how awesome the new Spank Rock album sounds. These lads from Baltimore/Brooklyn have served up an analog mix of Miami Bass, fiendishly juvenile wordplay ("behind my gameboy, I got game girl, it comes easy..."), plain old dirty funk, and electro-madness. Parts of it sound like Diplo meets Odd Nosdam, but then both get kidnapped by some Brazilian meth addict with a drum machine. I'm curious to see how it's received.



I've found my summer album already. Now if it would only warm up enough to roll down my windows and rage this out my blown speakers. Plus, one of my favorite people in the world sings on Sweet Talk and if she reads this, she better email me to say hello!
ciaoser

Spank Rock - Rick Rubin
If you don't take my word for it, this guy will tell you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

MATT!!! I wrote that line (Behind my game boy I got game girl) Literally, I wrote it. Too many things to say about all of it to even say any. So i'll just say hi. Glad your back in action BUT there's a but but i wont say what. but hey, i'll be checking on now and again. welcome back to cyberland!

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home