Tuesday, August 01, 2006

late review

my new friend Sam offers this of the Silver Mt. Zion show at the MidEast last week. I post this because he's a cool cat, and because it's only their second show in this country. ever.
so thanks Sam.

I was really disappointed when they finally came on at 10:30PM, thinking to myself "What the fuck? Where is the grand piano I know they are carting around for this tour and why are there two guitar amps up there? What the fuck is ASM without a piano?" But I totally forgot about it when they started playing. Efrim--you know, the singer with the beard and the wild mane of brown curly hair--tuned his guitar and cutely told us that they were all nervous for their second time playing in America. Some anonymous voice from the crowd told them they shouldn't be, and they were right. They opened up with God Save Our Dead Marines, which was about 10 minutes of epic, jaw-dropping amazingness ending in the whole band singing together in chorus. When they were over, another anonymous got in a loud, quick "holy shit!" before every one started expressing the same sentiment with their applause. The rest of the show was pretty much more of the same for another hour and fifteen minutes. They played God Save Our Dead Marines, two new ones (called Blind, Blind, Blind and A Million Died to Make This Sound, the latter of which was as impressive as their opener), I believe For Wanda (which was relatively boring compared to the rest of the set without as strong of a rhythm component when the drummer picked up a guitar), and one or two others I didn't recognize. It was pretty amazing, and I was more impressed than I was with the album mostly because just to feel the sound they were making and be in the same room was pretty overwhelming; for a while I just kind of closed my eyes and forgot where I was and enjoyed being surrounded by sound.

A Silver Mt. Zion - God Bless Our Dead Marines

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I bought tickets for the Los Angeles show a few months ago. its not until august 22nd! Im glad to hear they played well. i was worried that they wouldnt cause it was there first US tour. I cant wait until they play here!

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw them twice in a row in New York. They are stunning!

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home