Thursday, July 27, 2006

CWK

I made the right choice. Cold War Kids blew me away like few live bands have in the past 5 or so years. I had only heard Hospital Beds, and the 9-5er's anthem, We Used to Vacation before heading to TT's last night, but their arsenal is rock solid. Openers Midlake did their thing exactly as I had expected them to, which is to say, conventionally. Not that they sucked, but it wasn't anything exciting. I do enjoy their new album, but live, they just seemed to be going through the motions.
The energy of a CWK set is uncanny. Guitarist Jonnie Russell and Bass-slinger Matt Maust almost impaled each other several times on the mini-stage, and drummer Matt Aveiro slammed the skins like a madman. The highlight for me was how true to album form frontman Nathan Willet's voice holds up in the live setting.
Sound Team headlined, but their merch lackey was a douchebag and their new album kind of sucks so we bounced. There is no way they could have followed Cold War Kids with anything other than mediocrity.

Seriously. Best show of the summer thusfar. See them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home