Saturday, June 17, 2006

Happy Father's Day

My old man has good taste in music. It could have been easy to feed me a steady diet of Tears for Fears and Huey Lewis and the News, but my dear old dad always insisted I be raised on Tom Waits, Richard Thompson, and Lou Reed. I know exactly where my musical snobbery stems from, and for that I am greatly indebted to him. One of my fondest childhood memories was when he bought his first CD player and let me jump on his bed bangin' "Rock Lobster" out of his Klipsch speakers.

Life's not as easy nowadays, but that's not to say that we all can't forget about our troubles and blast Rock Lobster, evoking simpler times.


There was a request for some Richard Thompson, and I know my daddy would appreciate it on Father's Day.
Richard Thompson - When I Get To The Border
Richard Thompson - 1952 Vincent Black Lightning
Richard Thompson - Beeswing


I know it's been all over the place, but the eMusic Pitchfork compilation is totally worth the download.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

...like the high minded low lifes bit...and the best motorbiking song ever written...

12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt, I can't verify the 'Rock Lobster' story, it was more likely 'Planet Clair'. If you liked the bike song, download his 'Rumors and Sigh' CD from 1990. It also had classics, 'Read About Love', 'I Feel So Good' and 'Don't Sit on my Jimmy Shands' which is about a guy protecting his LP's at a rowdy party. Now I can rock Hi-Tech. Thanks for a Great Day!

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home